Allen, N. J., & Meyer, J. P. (1990). The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment to the organization. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63(1), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044- 8325.1990.tb00506.x
Baldwin, J. N. (1987). Public versus private: Not that different, not that consequential. Public Personnel Management, 16(2), 181-193. https://doi.org/10.1177/009102608701600209
Bowen, D. E., Ledford Jr, G. E., & Nathan, B. R. (1991). Hiring for the organization, not the job. Academy of Management Perspectives, 5(4), 35-51.
Cable, D. M., & DeRue, D. S. (2002). The convergent and discriminant validity of subjective fit perceptions. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(5), 875. https://doi.org/10.1037// 0021-9010.87.5.875
Cable, D. M. & Judge, T. A. (1995). The role of person-organization fit in organizational selection decisions (CAHRS Working Paper #95-07). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies.
Cable, D. M., & Judge, T. A. (1996). Person-organization fit, job choice decisions, and organizational entry. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 67(3), 294-311. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1996. 0081
Cable, D. M., & Judge, T. A. (1997). Interviewers’ perceptions of person-organization fit and organizational selection decisions. Journal of Applied psychology, 82(4), 546. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.4.546
Caldwell, D. F., & O’Reilly III, C. A. (1990). Measuring person-job fit with a profile- comparison process. Journal of Applied Psychology, 75(6), 648. https://doi.org/10.1037// 0021-9010.75.6.648
* Cha J. B., Ryu G. Y., & Lee H. Y. (2013). An Empirical Study on the Relationship Effect of Pharmaceutical Sales Representative’s Personal-Job Fit / Person-Organization Fit and Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intentions. Korean Journal of Business Administration, 26(3), 567-588.
Chatman, J. A. (1989). Matching people and organizations: Selection and socialization in public accounting firms. Academy of Management Review, 1989(1), 199-203. https://doi.org/10. 5465/ambpp.1989.4980837
* Choi B. I., Jang C. H., & Kwun S. K. (2011). The Effects of Person-Organization Fit and Person-Job Fit on Organizational Effectiveness. Journal of Organization and Management, 35, 199-232.
* Choi H. M., & Lee H. R. (2013). Antecedent Factors of Employee’s Job Satisfaction and Customer Orientation in Hotel Service Encounter: Perceived Organizational Support vs. Person-Organization Fit. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 37(3), 11-34.
* Choi M. O., & Yoo T. Y. (2005). The Effects of Person-Organization, Person-Job, and Person-Supervisor Fit on Organization Commitment, Job Satisfaction, and Turnover Intention: The Focus on Interaction Effects among Three Types of Fit. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 18(1), 139-162.
* Choi W. Y. (2013). The Impact of Survivor’s Justice Perception on the Person-Organization Fit and Job Satisfaction After Downsizing. Doctoral dissertation, Kyungsung University.
Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
Edwards, J. R. (1991). Person-job fit: A conceptual integration, literature review, and methodological critique. John Wiley & Sons.
Finegan, J. E. (2000). The impact of person and organizational values on organizational commitment. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 73(2), 149-169. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317900166958
Hofstede, G. & Hofstede, G. J. (2005). Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind (Rev. 2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill
Holland JL. (1985). Making vocational choices: A theory of careers (2nd edition). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
Hong S. J., & Jang J. Y. (2015). A Meta-Analysis on the Relationship between Intrinsic Motivation and Creativity. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 34(1), 57-86.
Hunter, J. E., Schmidt, F. L. (2004). Methods of meta-analysis: Correcting error and bias in research findings. sage: Thousand Oaks, CA.
* Jang H. I., Ha M. H., & Heo E. J. (2017). The Effects of Person-Environment Fit on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention in Estheticians. Journal of Investigative Cosmetology, 13(4), 343-350. https://doi.org/10.15810/jic. 2017.13.4.006
* Je M. J., & Kim Y. G. (2010). Effects of Person-Organization Fit and Person-Job Fit on Occupational Commitment, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intentions of Cooks. Culinary Science Hospitality Research, 16(5), 50-63. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr. 2010.16.5.005
* Joo H. J. (2013). The Effects of Person-Superior Fit, Person-Job Fit and Person-Organization Fit on Organization Commitment and Turnover Intention. The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 16(4), 429-448.
Josunbiz. (2016). “1 out of 4 new employees, even if they pass a hard selection process, leave the company in a year”, http://biz. chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/06/06/2016060600963.html.
Judge, T. A., & Bretz, R. D. (1992). Effects of work values on job choice decisions. Journal of Applied Psychology, 77(3), 261. https://doi.org/ 10.1037//0021-9010.77.3.261
Judge, T. A., & Ferris, G. R. (1992). The Elusive Criterion of Fit in Human Resources Staffing Decisions. Human Resource Planning, 15(4).
* Jung H. S. (2007). A study on the effects of employees’ business ethics awareness and practice in foodservice industry upon person-organization fit, job satisfaction, turnover intent and organization performance. Doctoral dissertation, Kyunghee University.
* Jung H. S., & Yoon H. H. (2009). A Study on the Effects of the Ethical Management in Hotel upon Employees’ Person-Organization Fit, Job Satisfaction, Turnover Intent and Organization Performance. Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, 18(1), 59-83.
* Jung H. S., & Yoon H. H. (2008). The Effects of the Business Ethical Value upon Person-organization Fit, Job Satisfaction, Turnover Intent and Organization Performance: The Employees of Family Restaurant and Feeding Facility. Journal of The Korean Society of Food Culture, 23(2), 139-151.
* Jung Y. S., Park J. Y., Sohn Y. W., & Ha Y. J. (2013). The Influence of Work Values on the Employees’ Organizational Commitment: The Mediating Effect of Work Engagement and Job Satisfaction and The Moderating Effect of Person-Organization Fit. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 26(4), 507-532. https://doi.org/ 10.24230/ksiop.26.4.201311.507
* Kang D. H., & Kim M. K. (2012). A Study on the Effects of the Person-Environment Fit of Hotel Employees’ on Job Satisfaction and Customer Orientation. International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 26(3), 345- 360.
* Kang J. S. (2016). The Effect of Person- Environment Fit of Public Sport Centers upon Job Satisfaction and Customer Orientation. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 63, 225-235.
* Kim D. H. (2015). Analysis of The Effect of Career Agents’ Personality and Person-Environment Fit on Turnover Intention: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Job Satisfaction. Doctoral dissertation, Hoseo University.
* Kim E. H. (2014). A Study on the Influence of Person Job-Fit of Flight Attendants on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention: on the Moderating Effect of Organization Communication. Doctoral dissertation, Kyonggi University.
* Kim H. Y., Oh H. K., Lee S. J., & Park S. M. (2016). A social exchange perspective on trust in supervisor, person-organization fit, and organizational commitment. Journal of Governance Studies, 11(3), 143-171. https://doi. org/10.16973/jgs.2016.11.3.006
* Kim J. E. (2012). A Structural Model Analysis of Person-Organization Fit Influencing Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intent Mediated through Goal Commitment. Culinary Science Hospitality Research, 18(5), 146-164. https://doi. org/10.20878/cshr.2012.18.5.010
* Kim J. G. (2012). How individual and organizational suitability in food service industry in different organizational environment influence to job attitude. International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 26(6), 487-508.
* Kim J. S., Kim M. O., & Lee E. S. (2017). The Relationships between Job Fitness on Job Satisfaction of the Participant in a Job Creation Project for Disabilities: Focusing on the Mediation Effect of Meaning of Work. Journal of Korean Social Welfare Administration, 19(3), 33-55.
* Kim K. Y., & Kim M. K. (2014). A Study of Person-Organizational Value Fit on Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction. International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 28(6), 255-266.
* Kim K. Y., & Park J. Y. (2015). The Effects of Healthy Family Support Center Worker’s Person-Environment Fit on the Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment. Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 20(2), 295-318. https://doi.org/10.13049/kfwa.2015.20.2.295
* Kim M. J., & Lee J. S. (2014). The Effects of Flight attendant’s career Plateau on Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover intention: Focused on the Moderating Effects of Person-Organization Fit, Person-J ob Fit and Person-Team Fit. Journal of Hotel and Resort, 13(3), 173-192.
* Kim M. K., & Lee C. W. (2013). The Effect of Person-Environment Fit on Organizational Attractiveness and Job Attitude. International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 27(4), 407-421.
Kim M. S., Lee S. M., & Kim Y. S. (2014). The Relationships between Emotional Labor and Job-related Variables: Meta-analysis. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 27(4), 683-720. https://doi.org/ 10.24230/ksiop.27.4.201411.683
* Kim T. S. (2014). Effect of Person-Environment (Job, Organization) Fit on Job Satisfaction and Customer Orientation: Mainly on KTX Train Attendants. The Academy of Customer Satisfaction Management, 16(3), 87-104.
* Kim T. S., & Hur C. Y. (2012). A Study on the Effects of KTX Driver’s Person- Environment Fit on Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intention. Journal of the Korean society for railway, 15(6), 645-653. https://doi.org/ 10.7782/jksr.2012.15.6.645
* Kim W. J. (2013). The Effect of Person- environment Fit on Organizational Commit and Career Commit of Hotel Employees: Focused on the Mediating Role of Organizational Commitment. Journal of Foodservice Management, 16(3), 71-88.
* Kim W. J. (2013). The Effects of Person- environment Fit on Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention of Hotel Employees: Focused on the Moderating Role of Self- efficacy. Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, 22(4), 177-194.
* Kong Y. J. (2015). A Study on the Effects of the Person-Environment Fit of Travel Agents Employees" on Job Satisfaction and Customer Orientation. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 27(9), 149-164.
* Kong Y. J., & Seo H. (2015). The Moderating Effect of Self-efficacy on the Relationship between Person-Environment Fit and Organizational Commitment of Travel Agent’s Employees. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 27(11), 59-74.
Kristof, A. L. (1996). Person‐organization fit: An integrative review of its conceptualizations, measurement, and implications. Personnel Psychology, 49(1), 1-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/ j.1744-6570.1996.tb01790.x
Kristof-Brown, A. L. (2000). Perceived applicant fit: Distinguishing between recruiters’ perceptions of person-job and person-organization fit. Personnel Psychology, 53(3), 643-671. https://doi. org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2000.tb00217.x
Kristof-Brown, A. L., Zimmerman, R. D., & Johnson, E. C. (2005). Consequences of individuals’ fit at work: A meta-analysis of person-job, person-organization, person-group, and person-supervisor fit. Personnel Psychology, 58(2), 281-342. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744- 6570.2005.00672.x
Lauver, K. J., & Kristof-Brown, A. (2001). Distinguishing between employees’ perceptions of person-job and person-organization fit. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 59(3), 454-470. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1807
* Lee C. W. (2012). The Effect of Health Care Professional Employees’ Person-Environment Fit on Career Commitment. Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 25(4), 2549-2573.
* Lee E. J, & Hong B. S. (2011). The Effect of Person-Environment Fit on Organization Attractiveness, Commitment, and Job Satisfaction in TV Home Shopping Companies. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 13(1). https://doi.org/10.5805/ksci. 2011.13.1.107
* Lee H. Y. (2018). The effect of ethical climate on person-organization fit, organizational commitment, and ethical behaviors in the casino industry. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Studies, 75(0), 110-120. https://doi.org/ 10.31667/jhts.2018.06.20.2.110
* Lee I. S., Baek J. H., & Jeon M. K. (2010). The Effect of Person-Environment Fit on Organizational Effectiveness. Korean Journal of Business Administration, 23(4), 1951-1967.
* Lee J. H. (2016). Effects of Perceived Flight Attendants’ Person-Organization Fit, Person- Job Fit on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention. Journal of the Aviation Management Society of Korea, 14(4), 73-93.
Lee J. H., Shin K. H., Baeck S. G., & Heo C. G. (2014). The effectiveness of job embeddedness in turnover studies: A meta-analysis. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 27(4), 743-782. https://doi.org/10. 24230/ksiop.27.4.201411.743
* Lee M. J. (2012). The Moderating Effects of Coaching and Person-Job Fit on the Relationship between Job Motivation and Organizational Effectiveness: Focused on Deluxe Hotel Cooks. Doctoral dissertation, Kyonggi University.
* Lee M. S., & Han S. L. (2018). Effects of Social Capital and Person-Organization Fit of Employee on Emotional Exhaustion, Subjective well-being and Turnover Intension. Korean Journal of Business Administration, 29(9), 1411-1433. https://doi.org/10.18032/kaaba. 2016.29.9.1411
Lim G. H., Lee H. Y., & Hahn J. H. (2012). An Empirical Study on the Effect of Team-level Person-Organization Fit and Person-Job Fit on Affective Commitment, and the Mediating Effect of Psychological Empowerment: An Application of Multi-level Approach. Korean Journal of Business Administration, 25(3), 1583-1606.
* Lim G. S., Jung J. C., & Lee S. I. (2013). Mediator of Job Satisfaction on the Relationship Between Person-Organization Fit and Customer Orientation. Productivity Review, 27(1), 173-200. https://doi.org/10.15843/kpapr.27.1.201303.173
Mowday, R. T., Steers, R. M., & Porter, L. W. (1979). The measurement of organizational commitment. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14(2), 224-247.
Moynihan, D. P., & Pandey, S. K. (2007). The ties that bind: Social networks, person-organization value fit, and turnover intention. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 18(2), 205-227. https://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/ mum013
Muchinsky, P. M., & Monahan, C. J. (1987). What is person-environment congruence? Supplementary versus complementary models of fit. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 31(3), 268-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(87) 90043-1
Murray, M. A. (1975). Comparing public and private management: An exploratory essay. Public Administration Review, 364-371. https://doi.org/10.2307/974538
* Nam J. S., Kim Y. H., & Lee H. S. (2015). The Effects of Person-Environment Fit on Innovative Work Behavior of Police Officer: Focused on the Mediating Effect of Organizational Commitment. The Journal of Police Science, 15(3), 3-37.
Oh D. K., & Lee Y. S. (2004). Effects of perceived value of work(PVW) determinants on PVW: A field experiment through “task value creation(TVC)” program. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 17(3), 401-418.
Oh, I. S., Guay, R. P., Kim, K., Harold, C. M., Lee, J. H., Heo, C. G., & Shin, K. H. (2014). Fit happens globally: A meta‐analytic comparison of the relationships of person- environment fit dimensions with work attitudes and performance across East Asia, Europe, and North America. Personnel Psychology, 67(1), 99-152. https://doi.org/10. 1111/peps.12026
* Oh K. T., & Lee M. J. (2017). The effects of calling on the job attitudes: The mediating role of person-environment fit. Productivity Review, 31(1), 53-89. https://doi.org/10.15843/ kpapr.31.1.201703.53
* Oh T. K. (2013). The Relationship between Person-Environment Fit, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intention of Police Officer: Focusing on the Awareness of Police Officers in Police Station and Patrol Division. Korean Police Studies Review, 12(4), 255-278.
O’Reilly III, C. A., Chatman, J., & Caldwell, D. F. (1991). People and organizational culture: A profile comparison approach to assessing person-organization fit. Academy of Management Journal, 34(3), 487-516. https://doi.org/10. 2307/256404
ORP Institute. (2016). Selection: guidebook for scientific selection. Seoul: ORP Press
Park H. I. Nam S. K., & Yang E. J. (2011). Relationships of Burnout with Job Attitudes and Turnover Intention among Koreans: A Meta-Analysis. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 24(3), 457-491. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.24.3.201108.457
* Park J. H., Choi J. H., & Jung Y. A. (2014). Relationship of Personal and Organizational Value with Job Performance: The Mediating Role of Organizational Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior. Korean Corporation Management Review, 56, 207-226.
* Park K. S., Kim D. K., & Lee W. (2015). The Effect of Job Fit of Center for Independent Living(CIL) Employees on the intent to leave and the Mediating Effect of Job Stress. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 25(3), 91-108. 10.24226/jvr.2015.12.25.3.91
* Park S. H. (2017). A Study on the Influence Factors and Effects of Public Service Motivation and Person-Organization Fit. Doctoral dissertation, Ulsan University.
* Park S. H., & Kim S. H. (2014). Research of Person-Environment Fit Effect on Organizational Effectiveness. Bulletin of the Institute of Business and Economic Research, 34(1), 82-103.
* Park S. M., Kim M. Y., & Kim M. J. (2013). Exploring the impacts of person-job fit (P-J Fit) and person-organization fit (P-O Fit) on organizational outcomes. Korean Public Administration Quarterly, 25(2), 557-593.
Park Y. M. (2016). The Relation between Person-Organization Fit Using MBTI and Organizational Effectiveness. Korean Journal of Public Administration, 54(4), 239-263.
Perry, J. L., & Rainey, H. G. (1988). The public-private distinction in organization theory: A critique and research strategy. Academy of Management Review, 13(2), 182-201. https://doi.org/10.2307/258571
Rainey, H. G., Backoff, R. W., & Levine, C. H. (1976). Comparing public and private organizations. Public Administration Review, 36(2), 233-244. https://doi.org/10.2307/975145
Rainey, H. G., & Bozeman, B. (2000). Comparing public and private organizations: Empirical research and the power of the a priori. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 10(2), 447-470. https://doi.org/10.1093/ oxfordjournals.jpart.a024276
Rounds, J. B., Dawis, R., & Lofquist, L. H. (1987). Measurement of person-environment fit and prediction of satisfaction in the theory of work adjustment. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 31(3), 297-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001- 8791(87)90045-5
Runco, M. A., & Acar, S. (2012). Divergent thinking as an indicator of creative potential. Creativity Research Journal, 24(1), 66-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400419.2012.652929
Saks, A. M., & Ashforth, B. E. (1997). Organizational socialization: Making sense of the past and present as a prologue for the future. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 51(2), 234-279. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1997. 1614
* Seo C. S, Park Y., & Lee H. M. (2018). A study on the Effects of Person-Environment Fit on Organizational Effectiveness: Focused on the Mediated Effects of Emotional-labor Characteristics. Korean Management Engineers Society, 23(3), 139-167.
* Seo H. M., Park S. H., & Chang K. R. (2011). The Effects of Person-Job Fit and Person- Organization Fit on Job Satisfaction among Employees in Sport Organizations. Korean Journal of Sport Management, 16(3), 17-28.
* Shin S. I., & Kim C. J. (2014). The Effects of Ethical Climate on Job Attitude of Employees: Focusing on Moderating Effect of Person- Organization Fit. Korean Journal of Human Resource Development, 17(2), 61-88.
Vancouver, J. B., & Schmitt, N. W. (1991). An exploratory examination of person‐organization fit: Organizational goal congruence. Personnel Psychology, 44(2), 333-352. https://doi.org/10. 1111/j.1744-6570.1991.tb00962.x
Werbel, J. D., & Gilliland, S. W. (1999). Person-environment fit in the selection process. Human Resources Management, 17, 209-243.
* Yang J. H., & Kim J. I. (2013). The Effect of Person-Organization Fit and Person-Job Fit on Secretaries’ Turnover Intention: Moderating Role of LMX. Journal of Secretarial Studies, 22(3), 29-45.
Yoo T. Y. (1999). Scale Development for Organizational Personality Type Indicator (OPTI). Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 12(1), 113-139.
Yoo T. Y., & Hyun H. J. (2003). Effects of the fit of current-ideal organizational personality and the fit of current-ideal job characteristics on the attitudes toward the organization and the job. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 16(3), 201-222.
* Yoon H. H., & Jung H. S. (2011). The Effects of Employees’ Career Development upon Person-Job Fit and Job Satisfaction in the Hotel Industry. Culinary Science Hospitality Research, 17(4), 25-38. https://doi.org/10.20878/ cshr.2011.17.4.003003003
- Abstract viewed - 217 times
- PDF downloaded - 122 times
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
© Korean Journal for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2019
How to Cite
The relationships between person-environment fit and job-related variables
Vol 32 No 2 (2019): Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Submitted: May 31, 2019
Published: May 31, 2019
The purpose of this study is to meta-analyze the relationship between person-environment fit(person- organization fit and person-job fit) and job-related variables(organizational commitment, job satisfaction and turnover intention), and to investigate whether the relationship is moderated by organizational typology(public organization and private organization). A total of 15,589 employees from 51 samples were included and meta-analyzed using Hunter and Schmidt(2004)’s procedure. Based on Hunter and Schmidt(2004)’s procedure, we corrected sampling errors as well as measurement errors of individual studies to estimate true mean correlations between person-environment fit and job-related variables. The results suggest that there are positive correlations between person-environment fit and organizational commitment, job satisfaction, but negative correlations between person-environment fit and turnover intention. In addition, the subgroups analysis results indicate that the correlations between person-environment fit and job-related variables tend to be stronger for private organization. We discussed this results as compared to existing research studies using foreign samples and suggested implications, direction for future research and limitations.